Paleo stands for Paleolithic which is a prehistoric period of mankind. The Paleo diet is a healthy lifestyle that focuses on the consumption of un-processed, nutrient dense, natural foods from the basic food groups of our hunter-gatherer ancestors. It may also be referred to as the cave-man diet, ancestral diet, or primal diet. The premises of a Paleo diet is that our human bodies have not yet adjusted to modern, processed, commercialized foods and that these foods are the root causes of poor health. Paleo diets differ from group to group and person to person, but most people who practice Paleo agree on these principles:
- Only eat foods that can naturally be picked or hunted in nature.
- Only eat meat products from animals raised naturally and fed their natural food.
- Eat as much lean meat, fish and seafood as you can
- Eat as much fruit and not starch vegetable as you can
- Eat plenty of healthy fats like butter & coconut oil
- Avoid foods that cannot be eaten raw.
- Avoid grain and cereals
- Avoid legumes
- Avoid dairy products
- Avoid sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and refined seed and vegetable oils
- Avoid all processed food
People following the Paleo guidelines may experience various improvements in health and benefits such as reduction in body fat, increase in lean muscle, stabilization of blood glucose levels, healthy blood pressure, etc.
Recommended Paleo Supplements
There are many supplements that can be used to fill in nutritional gaps when following a Paleo diet in our hectic modern world. Most experts agree that the most important and common supplements for the Paleo lifestyle include Probiotics, Omega 3s (Healthy Fats and Oils), Vitamin D, Magnesium and Protein (from pasture raised, grass-fed sources).
Below are some terrific, all natural, nutrient dense supplements that perfectly support the Paleo Diet.
As you search our supplements, anytime you see the Paleo Icon -
you know you have found a Paleo Diet friendly supplement.